TC GELANE Strengthens to a Category 3A Hurricane on FEWW New Hurricane Scale
With sustained winds of about 190 km/hr (gusts of up to 235 km/hr), Cyclone GELANE (TC 16S) is now a Category 3A Hurricane on FEWW New Hurricane Scale. Fire-Earth believes the cyclone would reach Category 4A strength, possibly stronger, as forecast yesterday.
The system is expected to continue intensifying during the next 36 hours. The coral reef island of Rodrigues should expect heavy rain as the cyclone moves closer.
Tropical Cyclone GELANE (TC 16S) Details
- Date/Time: 19 February 2010 – 01:00 UTC
- Position: Near 16.3ºS, 62.5ºE
- Sustained Movement: 180 degrees
- Forward speed: 9 km/hr ( 5 kt)
- The system has been tracking SOUTH over the past 6 hours.
Current Wind Distribution:
- Maximum Sustained winds: 190km/hr (102 kt)
- Maximum Gusts: ~ 235 km/hr (~ 125kt)
- GELANE is currently a Cat. 3A Hurricane on FEWW New Hurricane Scale
Wave Height and Location:
- Maximum significant wave height: ~ 9m (27 ft)
- Location: TC GELANE was located about ~ 885 km (~ 475 NM) NE of Réunion island.
- Sources: CIMSS, JTWC and Others
See also: UW- CIMSS Cyclone Portal
GELANE through the eye of TRMM. Credit: NASA/SSAI