Posts Tagged ‘earthquake’
Posted by feww on May 29, 2015
M6.8 quake strikes NNW of Chirikof Island, Alaska
Centered at 56.694°N, 156.530°W (111km NNW of Chirikof Island, Alaska) the quake struck at a depth of , USGS/EHP reported.
Tsunami Evaluation: This quake did NOT generate a destructive tsunami.
Aftershocks: No significant aftershocks reported, as of posting.
Magnitude: 6.8Mw [USGS/EHP]
Location: 56.694°N, 156.530°W; depth=61.7 km
Time: 2015-05-29 at 07:00:08 (UTC)
- 111km (69mi) NNW of Chirikof Island, Alaska
- 631km (392mi) SW of Anchorage, Alaska
- 1024km (636mi) SSW of Fairbanks, Alaska
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Alaska, Alaska earthquake, Chirikof Island, earthquake, M6.8, US earthquake 2015 | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 29, 2015
M6.8 quake strikes NNW of Chirikof Island, Alaska
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Alaska, Chirikof Island, earthquake | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 27, 2015
Earthquakes strike as Japan nuclear regulator clears two-reactor Sendai NPP
Two quakes struck about 55km south of Sendai NPP, USGS/EHP reported. A third quake occurred [about 60km] north of the plant, according to Japan weather agency (JMA).
Japan’s nuclear regulators said Wednesday that Kyushu Electric Power Co’s that the two reactors at Sendai nuclear plant had cleared “safety hurdles,” according to reports.
Kyushu Electric company is planning to restart the Sendai No. 1 reactor in late July, and the No. 2 reactor in late September 2015 despite public opposition.
In April, a Kyushu court rejected a legal bid by residents to block the resumption of power generation at Sendai despite the potential threats posed by nearby volcanoes.
- M4.8 quake strikes 10km ESE of Makurazaki, Japan 2015-05-27 at 01:51:25 UTC depth=150.2 km (USGS/EHP)
- M4.5 quake 4km E of Makurazaki, Japan 2015-05-24 at 00:09:38 UTC depth=161.7 km (USGS/EHP)
- M4.0 quake strikes Fukuoka pref. (33.0N, 130.5E) 27 May 2015-05-27 at 16:11 JST (UTC + 9 hrs.) depth=10 km (JMA)
Current Volcanic Alerts in the Region (JMA)
- Kuchinoerabujima, Level 3 Alert (Do not approach the volcano), since 07 August 2014
- Sakurajima, Level 3 Alert , since 21 March 2012
- Asosan, Level 2 Alert (Do not approach the crater) since 30 August 2014
- Kirishimayama (Shinmoedake), Level 2 Alert, since 22 October 2013
- Suwanosejima, Level 2 Alert, since 01 December 2007
- Kirishimayama, volcano is potentially active, since 01 May 2015
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: asosan, earthquake, Fukuoka, Japan nuclear regulator, Kuchinoerabujima, Kyushu Electric Power Co, Sakurajima, Sendai nuclear power plant | 6 Comments »
Posted by feww on May 25, 2015
M5.6 Earthquake strikes north of Tokyo, Japan
Centered at 36.1N, 139.6E the quake struck at a depth of about 50km, the local weather agency reported.
EQ Details [JMA]
- Magnitude: 5.6
- Location: 36.1N, 139.6E; depth=50km
- Region: Saitama prefecture (about 32km N of Tokyo, Japan)
- Date/Time: 14:28 JST (UTC + 9hrs) on May 25, 2015
The quake was felt throughout Japan’s main island of Honshu.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, Japan, M5.6, Planet of the Abes, Tokyo | 2 Comments »
Posted by feww on May 23, 2015
Earthquake clusters strike Nevada, California, Alaska, Oklahoma, Hawaii, Puerto Rico
A 4.8-magnitude earthquake, centered at 37.292°N, 114.655°W struck Nevada at a depth of 4.0 km (2.5 mi), USGS/EHP reported.
The quake, originally reported as a magnitude 5.4 event, was followed by dozens of smaller aftershocks, most of them occurring locally with several reported in neighboring states of California and Utah.
Location: 37.292°N, 114.655°W; Depth= 4.0 km
Time: 2015-05-22 @ 18:47:42UTC
- 37km (23mi) SSW of Caliente, Nevada
- 75km (47mi) NW of Mesquite, Nevada
- 97km (60mi) WNW of Saint George, Utah
- 103km (64mi) W of Washington, Utah
- 130km (82mi) NNW of Las Vegas [FIRE-EARTH projection]
- 453km (281mi) SSW of Salt Lake City, Utah
1 Day, All Magnitudes Worldwide: 234 earthquakes – 218 earthquakes in map area – Download Updated: 2015-05-23 at 11:20:44UTC [USGS/EHP]
Posted in Earthquake news, news | Tagged: Alaska, california, earthquake, Hawaii, Nevada, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, US earthquakes 2015 | 1 Comment »
Posted by feww on May 22, 2015
M4.1 earthquake strikes ENE of Yountville, Calif.
Centered at 38.429°N, 122.260°W the quake occurred at a depth of 8.9 km (5.5 mi), USGS/EHP reported.
Location:38.429°N, 122.260°W depth=8.9 km
Time: 015-05-22 02:53:00 (UTC)
- 9km (6mi) ENE of Yountville, California
- 14km (9mi) N of Napa, California
- 23km (14mi) NE of Sonoma, California
- 25km (16mi) WNW of Vacaville, California
- 68km (42mi) WSW of Sacramento, California
Other Significant Quakes
- M3.7, 2km WSW of Ramsgate, United Kingdom, 2015-05-22 at 01:52:16 UTC, depth=10.0 km
- M4.6, 67km SW of Lixourion, Greece, 2015-05-21 at 15:31:19 UTC, depth=17.5 km
Posted in news, News Alert | Tagged: california, earthquake, Greece, Margate, Napa, Ramsgate, UK, Yountville | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 21, 2015
Strong quake occurs in South Solomon Trench
Centered at 10.889°S, 164.158°E, about 184km W of Lata, Solomon Islands, the quake occurred at a depth of 12.0km (7.5 mi), USGS/EHP reported.
NO destructive Pacific-wide tsunami has occurred.
Location: 10.889°S, 164.158°E
Depth: 12.0 km
Time: 2015-05-20 22:48:53 UTC
At least three aftershocks measuring 4.9, 4.6 and 4.5Mw have occurred as of posting.
Posted in news | Tagged: earthquake, FIRE-EARTH earthquake FORECAST, Solomon Islands, South Solomon Trench | 1 Comment »
Posted by feww on May 20, 2015
M6.7 quake strikes Pacific-Antarctic Ridge
Centered at 54.359°S, 132.158°W the quake occurred at a depth of 10.2 km (6.3 mi), USGS/EHP reported.
Location: 54.359°S, 132.158°W depth=10.2 km (6.3 mi)
Time: 2015-05-19 15:25:21 (UTC)
Other Significant Quakes
- M5.5, 28km ESE of Roghun, Tajikistan 2015-05-20 03:31:42 UTC depth=11.2 km
- M6.0, 128km WNW of Pangai, Tonga 2015-05-20 00:30:51 UTC depth=180.3 km
- M5.8, 100km SSE of Port-Vila, Vanuatu 2015-05-19 13:54:55 UTC depth=50.0 km
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, Pacific Antarctic Ridge, Significant Earthquake, Tajikistan, Tonga | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 19, 2015
Shallow earthquake rattles residential area north of Irving, Texas
Centered at32.868°N, 96.957°W the quake occurred at a [signature] depth of 5km, USGS/EHP reported.
Location: 32.868°N, 96.957°W depth=5.0 km (3.1 mi)
Time: 2015-05-18 18:14:29 (UTC)
- 6km (4mi) N of Irving, Texas
- 8km (5mi) SW of Farmers Branch, Texas
- 11km (7mi) SSW of Carrollton, Texas
- 17km (11mi) NNW of Dallas, Texas
- 292km (181mi) S of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Abbott Signs “Denton Fracking Bill”
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott has signed legislation that would preempt local authorities to regulate fracking and a wide variety of oil and gas-related activities, preventing environmentally harmful oil and natural gas production.
Voters in Denton, a university town near Dallas, banned hydraulic fracturing (fracking) in the area in November 2014.
Abbott said, Texas needs to avoid a “patchwork of local regulations” that threaten oil and gas production.
House Bill 40 does a “profound job of protecting private property rights,” said Abbott.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Denton Fracking Bill, DFW, earthquake, Greg Abbott, House Bill 40, Induced Seismicity, Irving, oil and gas quake, Oklahoma, Texas | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 17, 2015
UPDATE and Correction
M5.7 aftershock occurs 76km ESE of Kathmandu, Nepal
Centered at 27.546°N, 86.075°E the aftershock occurred at a depth of about 10km, reported USGS/EHP.
Earthquake Location Map. Source: USGS/EHP
Nepal Earthquakes Casualty Toll – Latest Update
Death toll from Nepal’s May 12 earthquake has risen to 136, bringing the total number of fatalities from the seismicity in the country since April 25 to 8,485 and the number of injured to 101,182, said Nepal’s Ministry of Home Affairs in its May 16 update.
Nepal Earthquakes: List of events since April 25, 2015
- M5.7, 24km N of Ramechhap, Nepal 2015-05-16 11:34:10 UTC depth=10.0 km
- M6.3, 33km NNE of Ramechhap, Nepal 2015-05-12 07:36:53 UTC depth=15.0 km
- M7.3, 18km SE of Kodari, Nepal 2015-05-12 07:05:19 UTC depth=15.0 km
- M6.7, 19km SSE of Kodari, Nepal 2015-04-26 07:09:10 UTC depth=17.3 km
- M6.6, 49km E of Lamjung, Nepal 2015-04-25 06:45:21 UTC depth=14.6 km
- M6.1, 1km E of Banepa, Nepal 2015-04-25 06:15:22 UTC depth=10.0 km
- M7.8, 34km ESE of Lamjung, Nepal 2015-04-25 06:11:26 UTC depth=15.0 km
Posted in disaster watch | Tagged: earthquake, earthquake death toll, earthquake disaster, Kathmandu, nepal, Nepal aftershock, Nepal Disaster | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 16, 2015
Sent by a reader in Oklahoma
Harold couldn’t give a ham about Oklahoma
The billionaire CEO of Oklahoma-based Continental Resources Inc., Harold (hammhead) Hamm, told a dean at the University of Oklahoma last year that he wanted several seismologists there dismissed because they were researching links between oil and gas activity and the state’s nearly 400-fold increase in earthquakes, Bloomberg reported on Friday citing the dean’s e-mail recounting the conversation.
Harold Hamm is Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Continental Resources. He co-founded and serves as Chairman of the Domestic Energy Producers Alliance. Forbes Magazine has ranked Mr. Hamm No. 24 on “The Forbes 400” list of the richest people in America and No. 96 out of 1,826 on its list of “The World’s Billionaires.” Source: Continental Resources, Inc.
[Mitt Romney, the 2012 presidential candidate, named Hamm as his energy adviser, prompting Hamm to make substantial monetary and advisory contributions to the failed election effort. —Editor]
Hamm, the billionaire founder and CEO of Oklahoma City-based Continental Resources, who is a major donor to the university, also the home of the Oklahoma Geological Survey, has vigorously disputed the report that he tried to pressure the survey’s scientists. “I’m very approachable, and don’t think I’m intimidating,” Hamm was quoted as saying in an interview with EnergyWire, an industry publication, that was published on May 11. “I don’t try to push anybody around.”
Researchers have discovered the re-injection of drilling and fracking wastewater into disposal walls is most probably causing the 400-fold increase in Oklahoma earthquakes.
“Mr. Hamm is very upset at some of the earthquake reporting to the point that he would like to see select OGS staff dismissed,” wrote Larry Grillot, the dean of the university’s Mewbourne College of Earth and Energy, in a July 16, 2014, e-mail to colleagues at the university. Hamm also expressed an interest in joining a search committee charged with finding a new director for the geological survey, according to Grillot’s e-mail. And, the dean wrote, Hamm indicated that he would be “visiting with Governor [Mary] Fallin on the topic of moving the OGS out of the University of Oklahoma.” Read more…
- For slightly less obvious reasons, it took everyone involved about 10 months to report the incident.
- It’s also becoming increasingly more obvious to everyone concerned why corporation and wealthy individuals are paying Google and WordPress to suppress (filter, bury and block) content published on this blog.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Continental Resources, earthquake, fracking, Google, Harold Hamm, Internet censorship, OGS, Oklahoma seismicity, University of Oklahoma | 1 Comment »
Posted by feww on May 13, 2015
FIRE-EARTH Earthquake Forecast for Nepal Region
FIRE-EARTH Science Team has prepared its earthquake forecast for Nepal region.
The forecast will not be made public, but would be provided to the appropriate Nepalese officials at no cost, if requested.
Details of any communication between the parties shall remain strictly confidential.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, earthquake forecast, Earthquake Forecast for Nepal, FIRE-EARTH earthquake FORECAST, nepal | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 13, 2015
M 6.8 quake strikes SE of Ofunato, Japan
Centered at 38.902°N, 142.032°E the quake struck at a depth of 38.9 km (24.1 mi), USGS/EHP reported.
This quake did NOT generate a pacific-wide destructive tsunami. No significant aftershock reported, as of posting.
- Magnitude: 6.8Mw [Magnitude as reported by the local weather agency, JMA: 6.6Mw]
- Location: 38.902°N 142.032°E
- Depth: 38.9 kmime: 2015-05-12 21:12:58 UTC
- Nearby Cities
- 33km (21mi) SE of Ofunato, Japan
- 42km (26mi) SSE of Kamaishi, Japan
- 52km (32mi) SSE of Otsuchi, Japan
- 63km (39mi) SE of Tono, Japan
- 412km (256mi) NNE of Tokyo, Japan
The quake registered up to ‘Upper 5′ on Japan’s seismicity scale of 1 to 7, and ‘Lower 5′ near Fukushima Dai-Ichi nuclear power plant.
FIRE-EARTH Earthquake Forecasts for California and Japan
FIRE-EARTH Science Team has suspended its research on California seismicity to protest Internet censorship, Google’s manipulation of information, theft of FIRE-EARTH intellectual property and other reasons, as stated earlier on the blog.
The Team has suspended its research also on Japan seismicity due to the resurgence of militarism in that country and other reasons that have also been stated previously.
Recent Significant EQs in Japan Region
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, Fukushima, Japan, japan earthquake, Japan trench | 1 Comment »
Posted by feww on May 12, 2015
Powerful quake strikes 76km ENE of Kathmandu, Nepal
Centered at 27.837°N, 86.077°E the quake occurred at a depth of 15.0 km (9.3 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
USGS models show possible fatalities of up to 1,000, with damages estimated at up to $100 million.
Location: 27.837°N, 86.077°E
Depth: 15.0 km (9.3 mi)
Time: 2015-05-12 07:05:19 (UTC)
- 18km (11mi) SE of Kodari, Nepal
- 59km (37mi) ENE of Banepa, Nepal
- 62km (39mi) ENE of Panaoti, Nepal
- 76km (47mi) ENE of Kathmandu, Nepal
- 77km (48mi) ENE of Patan, Nepal
At least 6 significant aftershocks, including a M6.3Mw, have occurred as of posting.
5.2Mw 28km SSE of Kodari, Nepal 2015-05-12 08:21:10 UTC depth=15.0 km
5.1Mw 19km SW of Kodari, Nepal 2015-05-12 08:13:54 UTC depth=15.0 km
5.0Mw 34km S of Kodari, Nepal 2015-05-12 08:06:07 UTC depth=15.0 km
6.3Mw 33km NNE of Ramechhap, Nepal 2015-05-12 07:36:53 UTC depth=15.0 km
5.4Mw 36km SSW of Zuobude, China 2015-05-12 07:34:22 UTC depth=15.0 km
5.6Mw 25km SE of Kodari, Nepal 2015-05-12 07:17:20 UTC depth=10.0 km
The devastating 7.8-magnitude quake (28.147°N, 84.708°E), which occurred at a similar depth on April 25, killed more than 8,000, injuring an estimated 18,000 others and affecting the lives of 8 million people across a vast region.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, earthquake disaster, Kathmandu, Kodari, M7.3, nepal, Nepal Disaster | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 8, 2015
M4.0 Quake strikes near Venus, Texas
Centered at 32.480°N, 97.132°W (about 5km NNW of Venus) the quake occurred at a depth of depth 3.2 km (2.0 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
Venus, a town located in Ellis and Johnson Counties in the Lone Star State, has a population of about 3,000.
Location: 32.480°N 97.132°W depth=3.2 km (2.0 mi)
Time: 2015-05-07 22:58:05 (UTC)
- 5km (3mi) NNW of Venus, Texas
- 9km (6mi) S of Mansfield, Texas
- 12km (7mi) W of Midlothian, Texas
- 30km (19mi) S of Arlington, Texas
- 45km (28mi) SW of Dallas, Texas
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Arlington, D/FW Metroplex, earthquake, Texas, Venus | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 7, 2015
Last Update: 08:38:22
M7.1 Earthquake Shakes Bougainville Island, North Solomons
MINOR SEA LEVEL FLUCTUATIONS OF UP TO 0.3 METERS ABOVE AND
BELOW THE NORMAL TIDE MAY CONTINUE OVER THE NEXT FEW HOURS — US Tsunami Center
TSUNAMI WAVES REACHING 0.3 TO 1 METERS ABOVE THE TIDE LEVEL ARE POSSIBLE FOR SOME COASTS OF PAPUA NEW GUINEA — US Tsunami Center
Magnitude: 7.1 Mw [USGS/EHP]
Location: 7.226°S, 154.551°E
Depth: 23.2 km
Time: 2015-05-07 07:10:22 UTC
- 144km (89mi) SW of Panguna, Papua New Guinea
- 156km (97mi) SW of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
- 406km (252mi) SE of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
- 521km (324mi) ESE of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea
- 642km (399mi) WNW of Honiara, Solomon Islands
more details will follow…
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: Bougainville Island, earthquake, M7.1, North Solomons, Papua New Guinea, PNG, Solomon Islands | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 6, 2015
M3.9 quake strikes 4km NNW of San Jacinto, California
Centered at 33.817°N, 116.978°W the event occurred at a depth of 15.3km, USGS/EHP reported.
The quake was followed by another shock measuring 3.0Mw.
Location: 33.817°N, 116.978°W; depth=15.3km
Time: 2015-05-06 at 07:39:47 UTC
- 4km (2mi) NNW of San Jacinto, California
- 8km (5mi) N of Hemet
- 11km (7mi) NW of Valle Vista
- 26km (16mi) ESE of Moreno Valley, California
- 41km (25mi) ESE of Riverside, California
- 41km (25mi) W of Palm Springs, California
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: california, earthquake, San Jacinto, US earthquakes | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 5, 2015
M7.5 quake strikes 130km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea (PNG)
Centered at 5.465°S, 151.886°E the quake occurred at a depth of 42.0 km, reported USGS/EHP.
The quake had been preceded buy strong foreshocks and was followed by at least 9 significant aftershocks, as of posting.
See also FIRE-EARTH Forecast on HEIGHTENED SEISMICITY and ENHANCED VOLCANISM in the Pacific Ring of Fire March 31, 2015 concerning
Magnitude: 7.5Mw [USGS/EHP]
Depth: 42.0 km
Location: 5.465°S 151.886°E
Time: 2015-05-05 01:44:05 UTC
- 130km (81mi) SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea [pop: ~30k]
- 193km (120mi) E of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea [pop: ~20k]
- 341km (212mi) SSE of Kavieng, Papua New Guinea [pop: ~15k]
- 412km (256mi) WNW of Arawa, Papua New Guinea [pop: ~35k]
- 680km (423mi) NE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea [pop: ~375k]
Recent foreshocks and aftershocks
5.0 147km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 08:47:08 UTC 61.1 km
5.3 129km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 08:16:58 UTC 42.8 km
4.9 126km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 06:11:04 UTC 51.6 km
4.9 143km SSW of Taron, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 05:07:29 UTC 40.0 km
5.2 86km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 05:03:01 UTC 55.7 km
5.2 130km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 03:55:51 UTC 51.8 km
5.2 124km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 02:40:23 UTC 33.9 km
5.6 103km S of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 01:58:20 UTC 57.5 km
5.9 109km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 01:54:05 UTC 64.5 km
7.5 130km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-05 01:44:05 UTC 42.0 km
5.1 143km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-04 08:09:14 UTC 60.8 km
4.6 102km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-04 01:04:48 UTC 63.3 km
5.2 132km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 23:40:56 UTC 35.1 km
5.1 133km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 22:50:47 UTC 46.1 km
5.5 142km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 22:35:11 UTC 67.9 km
5.6 144km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 22:32:42 UTC 35.0 km
5.2 150km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 20:21:56 UTC 76.0 km
4.8 148km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-03 19:28:54 UTC 61.0 km
5.0 93km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-02 10:53:06 UTC 103.4 km
4.9 124km ESE of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-01 19:55:56 UTC 44.5 km
6.8 106km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-05-01 08:06:04 UTC 57.0 km
6.7 125km SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-30 10:45:05 UTC 48.9 km
5.0 60km WSW of Panguna, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-24 02:51:07 UTC 83.5 km
5.3 80km W of Panguna, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-21 19:10:18 UTC 68.0 km
5.3 32km ENE of Kandrian, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-21 11:21:12 UTC 53.5 km
4.5 74km SW of Taron, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-21 08:14:36 UTC 54.9 km
4.9 80km SE of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-20 20:02:07 UTC 67.8 km
4.6 112km S of Taron, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-19 12:48:42 UTC 36.6 km
4.5 103km S of Taron, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-19 12:17:42 UTC 42.2 km
5.2 66km NW of Rabaul, Papua New Guinea 2015-04-15 10:22:08 UTC 10.0 km
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, East New Britain, Global Seismicity, Magnitude 7.5, New Britain Trench, Pacific Ring of Fire, PNG | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 4, 2015
Deadly quake affects 8m Nepalese
Death toll in Nepal’s April 25 earthquake has climbed to 7,365 with at least 14,366 others injured, said the Ministry of Home Affairs on Monday.
Meantime, the police and local volunteers found 115 bodies thought to be trekkers and villagers who were buried in snow and ice after the devastating earthquake and strong aftershocks triggered multiple avalanches.
The bodies were recovered from the Langtang village, about 60 kilometers north of the capital, Kathmandu, over the weekend. The entire village, with up to 60 guesthouses, was razed by an avalanche, officials said.
The avalanches have also damaged the routes on Mt Everest making it “almost impossible” to climb the mountain this season.
The deadly quake has affected about 8 million people (Nepal has a population of 28 million), destroying or damaging more than 600,000 houses across the country, according to the latest figures released by the UN/ Nepalese officials.
The quake has destroyed up to 90 per cent of the houses in Gorkha and Sindupalchowk districts, said a UN report.
“Across large parts of Dhading, Dolakha, Rasuwa and Nuwakot districts, more than 80 percent of houses have been flattened.”
The worst affected areas are the 13 districts of Bhaktapur, Dolakha, Dhading, Gorkha, Kabhrepalanchowk, Kathmandu, Lalitpur, Makawanpur, Nuwakot, Ramechhap, Rasuwa, Sindhuli and Sindhupalchowk; however, damage has also been reported in Kavre, Okhaldhunga and Solukhumbu districts.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: death toll, earthquake, Earthquake damage, Kathmandu Valley, Mt Everest, nepal | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 4, 2015
M6.0 quake strikes NW of Wanaka, NZ
Centered at 44.54°S, 168.83°E the quake struck at a depth of 5km, reported NZ geonet, describing the shock as ‘Severe.’
EQ Details [NZ geonet]
- Magnitude: 6.0Mw
- Epicenter: 44.54°S, 168.83°E
- Depth: 5 km
- 30 km north-west of Wanaka
- 57km NNE of Queenstown, New Zealand
FIRE EARTH EARTHQUAKE FORECASTS FOR NZ
NOTICE: New Zealand Earthquake Forecasts April 16, 2011
Other Significant Seismicity
- Cluster of 8 aftershocks with the largest measuring 5.6 144km SSW of Kokopo, on 2015-05-03 at 22:32:42 UTC depth=35.0 km
- 3.6Mw, 1km S of Concord, California 2015-05-03 at 22:13:19 UTC depth=14.6 km
Planet of the Abes
- 4.9Mw, 19km SW of Tomioka, Japan 2015-05-03 at 14:30:16 UTC depth=146.3 km
- 4.6Mw, 3km SSE of Iwai, Japan 2015-05-03 at 06:53:59 UTC depth=51.6 km
- 5.0Mw, 45km E of Namie, Japan 2015-05-03 at 04:02:52 UTC depth=42.4 km
Global Seismic Hot Spots (June 2015 – August 2015)
Tune into FIRE-EARTH for the blog’s special report FRIDAY, May 22, 2015 at the following times :
18:32, 19:32, 20:32 and 22:32UTC.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, earthquake report, Los Angeles, new zealand, New Zealand Earthquake Forecast, Planet of the Abes, PNG | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 3, 2015
M3.9 quake strikes SE of Culver City, California
Centered at 33.998°N, 118.359°W the quake occurred at a depth of 9.9 km (6.1 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
Location: 33.998°N 118.359°W depth=9.9 km (6.1 mi)
Time: 2015-05-03 11:07:18 (UTC)
- 1km (1mi) WNW of View Park-Windsor Hills, California
- 1km (1mi) ESE of Baldwin Hills, California
- 4km (2mi) SE of Culver City, California
- 5km (3mi) NNW of Inglewood, California
- 12km (7mi) WSW of Los Angeles, California
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: california, Culver City, earthquake, Los Angeles, View Park-Windsor Hills | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 2, 2015
M4.2 earthquake strikes 8km S of Galesburg, Michigan
Centered at 42.212°N, 85.429°W the quake occurred at a depth of 5.9 km, reported USGS/EHP.
Location: 42.212°N 85.429°W
Depth: 5.9 km
Time: 2015-05-02 16:23:07 UTC
- 8km (5mi) S of Galesburg, Michigan
- 12km (7mi) E of Portage, Michigan
- 15km (9mi) SE of Kalamazoo, Michigan
- 23km (14mi) WSW of Battle Creek, Michigan
- 92km (57mi) SW of Lansing, Michigan
Southern Michigan: 1947-08-10 at 02:46:41.3 UTC (local 08/09)
Damage was heaviest in the area southeast of Kalamazoo at Athens, Bronson, Coldwater, Colon, Matteson Lake, Sherwood, and Union City. Chimneys were damaged, windows and plaster were broken, and brick cornices were downed. Also felt in Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Ontario, Canada. [Source: USGS/EHP]
Michigan: Earthquake History
Shallow Quake Generates 1-m Tsunami
Region name: Torishima Kinkai (Japan)
TSUNAMI ADVISORY: IZU ISLANDS and OGASAWARA ISLANDS
Location: 31.5N, 140.1E
Depth: Very Shallow
Time: 01:51 JST (UTC + 9.0 hrs) May 3, 2015 (Source: Japan’s weather agency.)
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, Earthquake History, Largest Earthquake in Michigan, Michigan, Ogasawara Islands, Significant Earthquake, tsunami advisory, U.S. Earthquake | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on May 1, 2015
M6.8 earthquake strikes 106km SSW of Kokopo, PNG
Centered at 5.196°S, 151.801°E the quake occurred at a depth of 57.0 km (35.4 mi), reported USGS/EHP
Location: 5.196°S, 151.801°E; depth=57.0 km (35.4 mi)
Time: 2015-05-01 at 08:06:04 (UTC) (UTC)
- 106km (66mi) SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea [pop. 27,000]
- 187km (116mi) ENE of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea
- 310km (193mi) SSE of Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
- 428km (266mi) WNW of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
- 693km (431mi) NE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea [pop: 27,000]
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, FIRE-EARTH earthquake FORECAST, Kokopo, New Britain, PNG, PRF, Solomon Sea | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on April 30, 2015
M6.7 earthquake 125km SSW of Kokopo, PNG
Centered at 5.392°S, 151.818°E the quake occurred at a depth of 48.9 km (30.4 mi), reported USGS/EHP.
Location: 5.392°S, 151.818°E depth=48.9 km (30.4 mi)
Time: 2015-04-30 at 10:45:05 (UTC)
- 125km (78mi) SSW of Kokopo, Papua New Guinea
- 186km (116mi) E of Kimbe, Papua New Guinea
- 331km (206mi) SSE of Kavieng, Papua New Guinea
- 421km (262mi) WNW of Arawa, Papua New Guinea
- 680km (423mi) NE of Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: earthquake, Kokopo, New Britain, PNG, PRF, Solomon Sea | Leave a Comment »
Posted by feww on April 30, 2015
Ukraine Atrocity & Nepal Disaster
The 7.8-magnitude earthquake [and its strong aftershocks] that struck Nepal on April 25 has wreaked a mega disaster across the impoverished nation, especially in the densely-populated Kathmandu Valley.
- Fatalities: At least 5,057 soles in Nepal as well as about 100 in neighboring countries (as of April 29).
- Injuries: more than 10,915 (6,000+ “hospitalized”) in Nepal and dozens more in India, Tibet and Bangladesh.
- Homes destroyed or damaged: 600,000 (at least 70,000 houses were destroyed and another 530,000 homes damaged across 39 of Nepal’s 75 districts —UN)
- In need of food assistance: At least 8.5 million people.
- Living in the open: Some 500,000 people remain in the open amid the damp, cold weather.
- Drinking water and sanitation: Up to 4.2 million people urgently need safe drinking water and sanitation facilities —UN.
At least 6,116 people have been killed (April 17, 2015) and 15,474 others wounded in the Ukrainian conflict, which began in April 2014, said the UN.
[It’s not known whether the UN figures include the victims of the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17. All of the 283 passengers and 15 crew were killed on July 17, 2014, when the plane was apparently shut down over the Ukraine airspace, presumably to widen the scope of the conflict and involve more of the EU member countries in the conflict. See also: “9/11 Mafia” make Malaysian Airlines an offer… ]
As of April 20, 2015 at least 1,236,495 people in Ukraine had registered as IDPs across the country, said the Ministry of Social Policy (MoSP). Additionally, about 801,000 Ukrainians have sought asylum, residence permits or other forms of legal stay in neighboring countries. By April 24, 2015, the total included 659,143 individuals in Russia, 81,044 in Belarus and 47,589 others in Poland, reported UNHCR.
The conflict began after the new government in Kiev sent troops to the Donbas region of eastern Ukraine (Donetsk and Luhansk) because the people refused to recognize the new coup-imposed president.
Posted in News Alert | Tagged: 911 Mafia, Atrocity, catastrophe, Donbas, earthquake, Mega Disaster, nepal, Tragedy, Ukraine, Ukraine Conflict | Leave a Comment »