Alabama Declares a State of Emergency in All 67 Counties
Deadly tornadoes and severe storms leave at least 2 dead, more than a hundred injured and hundreds of homes destroyed or damaged.
Disaster Calendar 2012 – January 24
[January 24, 2012] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016. SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,513 Days Left to the ‘Worst Day’ in Human History
- Alabama, USA.Gov. Bentley has declared a state of emergency in all 67 counties after deadly tornadoes and severe storms left at least 2 dead, more than a hundred injured and hundreds of homes destroyed or damaged.
- Heavy rains has intensified flooding across North Alabama.
- Chilton County: WKLF RADIO STUDIO DESTROYED … AND 302 FOOT TRANSMISSION TOWER WAS TOPPLED AT THE INTERSECTION OF ALABAMA HIGHWAY 22 AND COUNTY ROAD 37. (Source: SPC)
- Butler County: DAMAGE TO METAL BUILDING WITH ONE INJURED NEARBY. (Source: SPC)
Southern U.S. Wintertime Tornado Outbreak
Several damage surveys were completed today in the wake of a tornado outbreak in Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama last night. Most of the damage surveyed so far has been rated EF-2 on the Enhanced Fujita scale, indicating considerable damage with wind speeds reaching between 111 and 135 mph. However, the tornado that passed through Clay, Alabama, which is just north of Birmingham has been rated an EF-3. This tornado produced significant damage and was capable of wind speeds between 136 and 165 mph. (Source: NWS)
- The Storm Prediction Center received 23 tornado reports, 118 high wind reports and 35 large hail reports from Sunday’s outbreak:
- Arkansas: 10 tornado reports
- Alabama: 9
- Mississippi: 2
- NWS STORM SURVEY DETERMINES AN EF-2 TORNADO WITH MAX EST WINDS OF 120 MPH CAUSED SUBSTANTIAL DAMAGE IN EXTREME NE BOLIVAR COUNTY. PATH LENGTH 3.75 MI. (NWS)
- Tennessee: 1
- Kentucky: 1
- TORNADO BEGAN AT HAZEL KY TO NEW PROVIDENCE KY. 100 YRDS WIDE AND 5.6 MILES LONG. PK WND 95MPH. PROPERTY DAMAGE 50K. HUNDREDS OF TREES UPROOTED/SNAPPED. HOUSE WITH SHIN. (NWS)
- Georgia: 2 tornadoes struck Macon and Dooly Counties Saturday, NWS said.
Tornadoes have destroyed or damaged about 500 homes throughout the region and uprooted/snapped thousands of trees.
Other Global Disasters
- Papua New Guinea (PNG). A massive landslide has completely buried two villages in PNG.
- “The landslide is about a kilometer long and about 300 meters wide. There are people buried underneath and a number of them are from what I have heard, children.” Local MP Francis Potape has told Radio Australia.
- At least 40 people are reportedly missing, reports said.
- The landslide occurred near Exxon-Mobil’s liquefied natural gas project in the new Hela Province, blocking the main road and stopping work at the site and a nearby airfield.
Global Disasters: Links, Forecasts and Background
- 2010 Disasters [Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters
- 2011 Disaster Calendar
- 2012 Disaster Calendar
- Washington declares a state of emergency amid deadly ice storm
- Massive snowstorm in the Northwest closes schools, halts transportation