At least 10 million People Affected by Floods in China
Torrential Rains, Flash Floods and Landslides Claim Hundreds of Lives in Southern China
Floods have destroyed more than 8,000 homes in one county alone, the Lichuan County of Jiangxi Province.
Original Caption: Flood heavily inundate the roads and vernacular dwellings, at Shayuan Village of Hecheng Town, Zixi County, southeast China’s Jiangxi Province, June 19, 2010. Rain-triggered landslides in eastern and southern China have killed at least 46 people since Sunday. As of 10:00 a.m. Saturday, downpours that began pounding southern China Sunday had left 88 people dead, 48 missing, and forced the evacuation of 757,000 residents from their homes. About 9.27 million people in Fujian, Zhejiang, Guangdong, Hunan, Jiangxi, Guangxi, Guizhou and Sichuan were affected by the heavy rains. as direct economic losses caused by the heavy rains have topped 10 billion yuan (about 1.46 billion U.S. dollars). The torrential downpours have also triggered flash floods, caused rivers to swell, inundated crops, and disrupted traffic and telecommunications. (Xinhua/Wu Zhigui). Image may b subject to copyright.
At least 10 million people in Fujian, Zhejiang, Guangdong, Hunan, Jiangxi, Guangxi, Guizhou and Sichuan have been affected by the heavy rains, flooding and landslides, reports say, putting the direct economic loss at about $1.5 billion, so far.
China may never recover from the disaster
“The scope and intensity of the rain have increased,” China’s National Meteorological Center on Sunday warned of more rainstorms to hit the affected regions.
“In parts of Zhejiang, Fujian, Jiangxi, Henan, Guangxi and other areas of the south, the rainfall will be 100-180 millimetres. In other parts, the rainfall will be more than 200 millimetres.”
Up to 100,000 houses have been damaged or destroyed, with about 1 million hectares (2.47 million acres) of crops ruined, reports say.
- Deadly Landslides Kill 100 in Bangladesh, Burma, China
- Landslides Kill at least 44 in South China
- 2010 Disaster Calendar [JUNE]
- Towns and Villages Turned into Lakes
- Latest Landslide in China
- Oklahoma City Under Deluge
- U.S. Floods Hit Texas, Oregon, Wyoming, Utah, Missouri …
- Deadly Tornadoes Turn U.S. Midwest into ‘War Zone’
- A Dry Run for Climate Chaos Heading Our Way
- U.S. Warmer, Drier in March
- U.S. Weather at a Glance
- Southern U.S. Flooding Update
- FLOODING: Kentucky governor declares a state of emergency
- Rhode Island: Step Nearer Collapse?
- Flooding in Midwest Kills 1, Swamps Roads, Rail Line