Saudi Arabia first used cluster bombs on Houthis in 2009: HRW
Human Rights Watch (HRW) has released new evidence contending the Saudi-led coalition has been dropping internationally-banned cluster bombs on Yemenis population.
Four civilians, including a young boy, were wounded on April 29 in Baqim, a village near the Saudi border, when unexploded submunitions detonated after local residents picked them up. HRW identified the weapon as a type of ground-fired cluster munition containing “ZP-39” submunitions, which has a distinctive red ribbon.
- The cluster munition dropped by Saudi-led coalition aircraft near al-Amar was the CBU-105 Sensor Fuzed Weapon.
- In addition, photographs and information from local residents indicate that Saudi-led coalition aircraft dropped a third type of cluster munition, bombs containing BLU-97 submunitions, in at least two attacks in Saada governorate on May 23.
“Human Rights Watch … has documented that Islamic State forces (also known as ISIS) fired the same weapon, whose submunition was marked ‘ZP-39,’ in northern Syria in September 2014,” said the report.
The HRW report is posted online, here.
Yemen: Deteriorating Humanitarian Crisis Situation Report No. 9 (as of 29 May 2015)
Highlights of UN OCHA Report
- The humanitarian situation in the SW governorates of Aden, Lahj, Taizz, and Al Dhale’e continues to deteriorate at an alarming rate, as violence increases and basic services grind to a halt.
- The northern governorates of Sa’ada, Hajjah and Amran face increasing levels of displacement due to airstrikes. Insecurity has limited access and the provision of assistance.
- The death toll reached 1,976; 27 May was the deadliest day so far with reports of at least 80 people killed and 300 injured. The conflict is now entering its third month.
- People in need: 15.9m
- Internally displaced: 545,719
- Registered deaths resulting from conflict: 1,976
- Registered injuries resulting from conflict: 8,034
- People who have become food insecure since escalation of conflict: 1.4m [UN OCHA]
Terrorists Fed by Saudi Royals’ Hatred for Shia Muslims
Meantime, the Saudi division of the Islamic State terrorists group has called on all jihadist to cleanse the Arabian Peninsula of Shia Muslims in an audio recording, said a US-based ISIS monitoring group, SITE.
A representative of Najd Province, a division of the Islamic State (ISIS/ISIL/IS/DAESH) has called on Sunni Saudi youths to join the group, fend off the “Shia threat” and “purify the land” of the “disbelievers and apostates,” said the report.
The terrorist group has reportedly claimed responsibility for the May-22 suicide bombing of a Shi’ite mosque in the town of al-Qadeeh, Qatif province, which killed at least 21 people and wounded more than 50 other worshipers.
The local ISIS terrorists have also claimed responsibility for bombing another Shi’ite mosque in the Saudi port city of Dammam on Friday, May 29, 2015.
A suicide bomber, reportedly disguised as a woman, blew himself up in the parking lot of the mosque during Friday prayers, killing at least four people.