Selected Environmental @ News Headlines
Former CIA official: Communication companies help surveillance
Ray McGovern, a former CIA official, told CCTV News
“What’s happened here is the U.S. companies have become joined in a way with United States Government in such a way that you have the corporations, the government, the media and the congress and judiciary all pretty much joined in a complicit attempt to circumvent the constitution of the United States. There’s zero concern on the part of the communication companies to violate the law. They know that they’ll be protected, even if it’s ex post facto…”
- [The link and following comment were submitted by a reader] No Need to Panic About Global Warming
- “Increasingly the establishment is forced to reveal the identity of its ‘science house concubines’. A letter to WSJ linked to above was signed by the following 16 ‘scientists'”
- Claude Allegre, former director of the Institute for the Study of the Earth, University of Paris; J. Scott Armstrong, cofounder of the Journal of Forecasting and the International Journal of Forecasting; Jan Breslow, head of the Laboratory of Biochemical Genetics and Metabolism, Rockefeller University; Roger Cohen, fellow, American Physical Society; Edward David, member, National Academy of Engineering and National Academy of Sciences; William Happer, professor of physics, Princeton; Michael Kelly, professor of technology, University of Cambridge, U.K.; William Kininmonth, former head of climate research at the Australian Bureau of Meteorology; Richard Lindzen, professor of atmospheric sciences, MIT; James McGrath, professor of chemistry, Virginia Technical University; Rodney Nichols, former president and CEO of the New York Academy of Sciences; Burt Rutan, aerospace engineer, designer of Voyager and SpaceShipOne; Harrison H. Schmitt, Apollo 17 astronaut and former U.S. senator; Nir Shaviv, professor of astrophysics, Hebrew University, Jerusalem; Henk Tennekes, former director, Royal Dutch Meteorological Service; Antonio Zichichi, president of the World Federation of Scientists, Geneva.
- [JCW, it’s interesting that none of the listed mercenaries seem to be a climatologist. Moderator]
- Government survey finds that 5 percent of Americans suffer from a ‘serious mental illness’ About 20 percent of American adults suffer some sort of mental illness each year, and about 5 percent experience a serious disorder that disrupts work, family or social life, according to a government report, the annual National Survey on Drug Use and Health, released on January 19.
- In Bat Deaths, a Catastrophe in the Making? About 6.7 million brown bats have died from the fungal disease in eastern North America since the start of an epidemic in upstate New York in 2006.
November 2011 was the 321st consecutive month with a global temperature above the 20th century average. The last month with below average temperatures was February 1985, NOAA reported.
It was 12th warmest November since records began in 1880. Arctic sea ice extent was the 3rd smallest extent on record for November at 11.5 percent below average.
Ron Fouchier, a researcher at the Erasmus Medical Center in Rotterdam, and his team have created a highly contagious mutation of the avian flu virus, H5N1.
A lethal virus even before the highly contagious mutation was engineered, the H5N1 has infected about 500 people in recent years, killing about 60 percent of them, a report said.
- October 15th Call to Action Posted Oct. 14, 2011, 1:07 a.m. EST by OccupyWallStOver the last 30 years, the 1% have created a global economic system – neoliberalism- that attacks our human rights and destroys our environment. Neoliberalism is worldwide – it is the reason you no longer have a job, it is the reason you cannot afford healthcare, education, food, your mortgage.Neoliberalism is your future stolen.Neoliberalism is everywhere, gutting labor standards, living wages, social contracts, and environmental protections. It is “a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.”It is a system that ravages the global south and creates global financial crisis – crisis in Spain, in Greece, in the United States. It is a system built on greed and thrives on destablizing shocks.It allows the 1% to enrich themselves by impoverishing humanity.
This has to stop!We must usher in an era of democratic and economic justice.
We must change, we must evolve.On October 15th the world will rise up as one and say, “We have had enough! We are a new beginning, a global fight on on all fronts that will usher in an era of shared prosperity, respect, mutual aid, and dignity.”
Actions in NYC
- Groups Sue Obama Administration for Scrapping Stronger Ozone Standards: Thousands of lives left at risk
- France Takes a Giant Leap Backwards!! France expands nuclear power plans
- Germany wants out of the nuclear power trap: Germany plans to shut all nuclear reactors by 202
- Radiation leakage from Tsuruga nuclear plant in western Japan
- Chubu Electric to halt reactors in line with Kan request
- Tsunami, wildfires triggered by quake ravaged over 1,600 hectares of forest
- Maryland prepares lawsuit over PA gas drilling effect on water
- New U.S. nuclear reactors close to construction-S&P
- Environmental groups sue Chicago over its sewage
- US House votes to reopen oil drilling off Virgina coast
The economy helped push carbon emissions up 5.56 percent to 2.42 billion metric tons in 2010, a report said.
- Canceling Nature’s Life Insurance Policy
- Sea level rise in Bangladesh threatens coastal population
- Canada’s logging practices threaten to turn the its northern forest into a source of global warming
- Drought in Zimbabwe likely to damage the 2008 maize harvest
- Hurricanes: $500billion Price Tag
- Spanish Region May import Water To Survive Drought
- Italy, Garbage, Silvio Berlusconi and Mozzarella
- Italy’s Green Party leader and caretaker environment minister suspected of graft
- The ozone hole scientist warns about climate change
Indigenous Environmental Network [+] The United Nations System-wide Earthwatch [+] National Geographic News [+] Earth (and moon) View [+] Earth Observatory [+] Ozone Hole Watch [+] Visible Earth [+] Environment News Service [+] Envirolink News [+] Nature.com [+] Independent UK [+] Society of Environmental Journalists
2008 NESDIS News –
- U.S. Temperature Above Normal in July … August 8, 2008
- Eighth Warmest June on Record for Globe … July 16, 2008
- Warm June for U.S. with Wet and Dry Extremes … July 9, 2008
- Scientific Assessment Captures Effects of a Changing Climate on Extreme Weather Events in North America… June 19, 2008
- Global Temperature Seventh Warmest for Spring, Eighth Warmest for May… June 13, 2008
- U.S. Has 36th Coolest Spring on Record… June 6, 2008
- NOAA Satellites Primed for Spike in Summer Distress Calls… June 4, 2008
- NOAA: U.S. Has Cool April, Global Temperature Ranked 13th Warmest on Record… May 15, 2008
- Key Climate Sensor Restored to NPOESS… May 2, 2008
- Remarks by VADM Conrad C. Lautenbacher, Jr., US Navy (Ret.)
to Maryland Space Business Roundtable (.pdf)… April 29, 2008
- NOAA Employing New Tools to Accurately Measure Climate Change… April 24, 2008
- NOAA: U.S. Temperatures Near Average in March as Global Land Temperature Sets Record… April 17, 2008
- NOAA Satellites Help Save 23 People in the North Atlantic… April 11, 2008
- NOAA Selects Contractor for Systems Engineering, Tech Support for Environmental Satellite Program… March 19, 2008
- NOAA Selects Contractor for Technical Support for NPOESS Sounder… March 19, 2008
- NOAA: Coolest Winter Since 2001 for U.S., Globe… March 13, 2008
- Texas A&M University Researcher Receives NOAA’s David Johnson Award… March 13, 2008
- NOAA Satellites Help Rescue 353 People in 2007… January 17, 2008
- 2007 was Tenth Warmest for U.S., Fifth Warmest Worldwide… January 15, 2008
Caution: All technical information and scientific data provided by US Government agencies (e.g., NASA, EPA…) are subject to sudden variation because of political expediency.
This caution also extends to the fidelity of the information provided by UN organizations (e.g., FAO, WHO…).