Many Yemenis live off tea and bread
Half a million Yemeni children suffer from acute malnutrition; drought and deluge threaten the livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of farmers, according to Yemeni Minister of Health.
Disaster Calendar 2011 – December 28
[December 28, 2011] Mass die-offs resulting from human impact and the planetary response to the anthropogenic assault could occur by early 2016. SYMBOLIC COUNTDOWN: 1,540 Days Left to the ‘Worst Day’ in Human History
- Yemen. A third of the Yemenis, about 8 million people, are food insecure, and the number is expected to rise when the World Food Program carries out a new national Comprehensive Food Security Survey next year.
- The term “food insecurity” is used when people go to bed on an empty stomach or have no idea where their next meal may come from.
- A recent state survey conducted in Hudeidah Governorate found a global acute malnutrition (GAM) rate of 31.7 percent among the sample population. More than 10 percent of the malnourished children were severe cases.
- “The survey also found that nearly 60 percent of children were underweight and 54.5 percent stunted, meaning their height was too low for their age, a sign of longer-term malnutrition.” The UN reported.
- “The Hudeidah survey found that three in every four children suffered from diarrhoea, acute respiratory infections or fever in the two weeks preceding the survey; and 2.5 percent of mothers reported symptoms of measles in their children in the past three months. The survey found measles vaccination coverage of 74 percent in Hudeidah, well below the 90 percent coverage rate needed to prevent an outbreak.”
- Malnutrition-related deaths are expected to rise in Yemen as the health services continue to deteriorate, UINCEF reported.
Global Disaster Links
- The First Wave of World’s Collapsing Cities (EDRO Forecast)
- 2011 Much More Disastrous: FIRE-EARTH Forecast
- Global Disasters in 2011 Could Impact 1/3 to 1/2 of the Human Population (FIRE-EARTH Forecast)
- Back to the Primordial Future
- Mass Die-offs (FIRE-EARTH Forecast)
- 2010 Disasters [Includes Links to 2010 Disaster Calendar]
- Mega Disasters: 2011 SIX TIMES MORE DISASTROUS THAN 2010
- 2011 Disaster Calendar