Chaparrastique Spews More Ash, Volcanic Gases
Posted by feww on December 31, 2013
Chaparrastique Volcano in Eastern El Salvador is Still Spewing Ash and Volcanic Gases
Up to 5,000 people live near the volcano, and the authorities have so far evacuated more than 1,600 to emergency shelters, but many have refused to leave their homes on the volcano slopes.
“The Chaparrastique volcano is still producing gases combined with small emissions of ash, which is normal after an eruption,” said El Salvador’s environment ministry.
The 2,130-m high volcano, El Salvador’s third highest, ejected columns of smoke and ash up to 5km above the summit on Sunday
Chaparrastique, aka San Miguel volcano, located about 15km SW of San Miguel city (population: 180,000), and about 140 km east of San Salvador, the capital, showed signs of increased activity on December 13.
The eruption has so far deposited more than 10cm of ash in the nearby areas within the coffee-producing region, according to reports.
Latest image of Chaparistique Eruption. Source: El-Salvador.com
Chaparistique eruption deposits volcanic ash on coffee plants. Source: El-Salvador.com
El Salvador sits along the Pacific Ring of Fire, close to Middle America Trench, and is subject to significant tectonic movement, causing frequent earthquakes and volcanic activity. The tiny country (population: 6.3 million) is home to at least 23 volcanoes.
Middle America Trench
A major subduction zone known for many large earthquakes, the Middle America Trench is a 2,800-km long oceanic trench in the eastern Pacific Ocean, extending from central Mexico to Costa Rica. The trench is the boundary between five tectonic plates, including the Caribbean, Cocos (and Rivera), Nazca, the North American and the South American plates.
Chaparrastique Eruption Forces Mass Evacuations in El Salvador December 30, 2013
- M6.5 Quake Strikes Guatemala September 7, 2013
- Ubinas Volcano Erupts 6 Times in 60 Hours September 5, 2013
- Hundreds Evacuated as Ecuador’s Tungurahua Erupts July 16, 2013
- El Hierro Island Experiencing Intense Seismicity, Inflation March 31, 2013
- Fuego Volcano Erupts: September 13, 2012
- San Cristóbal Eruption Forces Mass Evacuation Posted September 9, 2012
- Powerful Earthquake Strikes NW Costa Rica Posted September 6, 2012
- Pacaya Erupts, Covers Guatemala City with Ash May 28, 2010